Swimming is not only a vital life skill, it is also a compulsory part of the National Curriculum.
All children by the end of Key Stage 2 should be able to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
We have increased the amount of time dedicated to the school swimming programme this year. All Year 4 children will swim an hour a day for two weeks and in Year 5 all children swim an hour a day for one week. In Year 6, children who have not reached the National Curriculum standard will receive another 5 hours of swimming.
Swimming dates for this academic year 2019/2020 are:
- Year 5 & 6 - week beginning 9th September
- Year 4EG- week beginning 16th September and 23rd September
- Year 4GMG- week beginning 4th May and 11th May
- Year 3MMC - week beginning 15th June
- Year 3YD/KW - week beginning 22nd June
- Year 4 non - swimmers 29th June
- Please encourage and support your children to learn to swim. We are noticing an increase in the number of children who are not able to meet the National Curriculum requirements.
Swimming Statistics for 2018/2019
100% of Year 6 met National Curriculum standards
93% of Year 5 met National Curriculum standards
78% of Year 4 met National Curriculum standards
Swimming statistics for 2019 - 2020
93% Year 6
78% Year 5
Years 3 & 4 will swim later in the year
School Swimming Team
At the end of this years Wirral Schools Swimming Gala Final , OLOP finished in a respectable 3rd place. Well done to everyone who represented OLOP.